How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1382
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I approached a solicitor in June with a view to divorce my

This answer was rated:

I approached a solicitor in June with a view to divorce my husband after I realised that he had transferred a huge amount of money from our joint account. We have 2 children together (17 and 14 yrs of age) Within 45mins of talking to this solicitor he told me that for the divorce to work and for me to get half of our assets plus Court if my husband doesn't comply - would cost me £6.000. I paid him £3.000 an hour later.
When I told the children about the divorce, they were upset. The families got involved, ant it was decided that we attend Relate/ marriage guidance.
I told my solicitor that I was considering Counselling with my husband, BUT he didn't seem impressed. Infact he asked me to meet him at his office to discuss how I will pay the outstanding amount.
I don't think its fair or acceptable what he is doing. He doesn't care! Is he legally allowed to treat clients like that?
Thank you for your question.
I am a Solicitor and am able to help you.
It is not a Solicitors role to make you divorce your husband. A Solicitor should advise you as to the options available to you. It is you that provides that instructions to the Solicitor as to how they should act on your behalf. You should not be pressurised to continue with Divorce proceedings if you are considering reconciling with your husband. Even if you have issued divorce proceedings - you can choose to discontinue such proceedings at any point until decree absolute has bee obtained.
If you consider that you have received a poor service from your solicitor or you are not happy with their bill - then in the first instance you should make a formal complaint to their practice. Each practice will have a procedure for handling complaints.
If you are not satisfied with the response, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman on 0300(###) ###-#### ***** can help to resolve your complaint for you.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive ratings are gratefully received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The response from Caroline has given me hope . I really did not expect to hear that I can discontinue such proceedings at anytime. Furthermore it's good to know that I can place a formal complaint and if not satisfied it can escalate to the ombudsman. Thank u so much Caroline.
You are very welcome - glad I could help.
I would be very grateful if you could leave positive feedback.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer.
We don't receive any credit for our work unless a positive rating is received.
Kind Regards
ukfamilysolicitor and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I would be grateful for positive feedback