How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49833
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have just been suspended from my job in the Police

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have just been suspended from my job in the Police as a civilian support staff. The background is that 5 years ago I did something very stupid and was caught shoplifting, and received a penalty notice for disorder and had to pay an £80 fine. At that time I was unsure if I had to disclose this to my employer as this is neither a conviction or a caution, so said nothing. 5 years on this has 'somehow' come to light and I have been served papers and suspended. I would imagine the likelihood is that I will lose my job. Unfortunately I am not in a union and doubt they would let me join now!
I am already seeking alternative employment, and wondered if my employer let me resign before being sacked, would this permit me to find other work? I know that the Police have a policy whereby they do NOT give references about previous/existing employers, just confirm their role title and length of service.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you looking for other work unrelated to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ben, yes I am. I am wanting to move from the public sector altogether, as this is not a great place to be of late! In terms of DBS disclosures, NAKRO state that the PND is very unlikely to be disclosed on anything but an enhanced disclosure, so I should be ok on that side of things.
Yes you are entirely free to look for work as soon as your employment with the current employer terminates. You may even apply for jobs and attend interviews before your employment has come to an end but try to start the new job only ones your current employment has finished. The fact that they do not provide personal references should not necessarily be an issue as if it is their policy then the new employer should understand this and just accept a basic factual reference. It may even be better in the circumstance as they would not have to mention anything about the reasons you left.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ben, can I just clarify that is it at their discretion to let me resign? I understand it is fairly standard practice for them to offer me this option but don't believe there is any statutory legal requirement to do so?
you can resign at any time they cannot stop you from doing so. But they would expect you to work your notice period. So the discretion comes in when they decide whether to allow you to leave immediately or ask you workman shorter notice period. So that depends on them but the actual resignation is entirely down to you
Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's fine Ben, many thanks
you are welcome, all the best