How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1437
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My daughter received a letter from the magistrates court on

This answer was rated:

my daughter received a letter from the magistrates court on tuesday of this week stating that she should attend a hearing on monday 17/08/2015 to resolve an issue of more access to her children from their father. she has been unable to arrange legal representation at such short notice. can she get an adjournment and a later date for the hearing, if so, how would she have to go about this.
Thank you for your question.
It in unusual to receive such short notice unless an urgent hearing has been requested because of child protection concerns. Notice is normally over 6 weeks so that Cafcass can do their checks.
Your daughter should send urgent correspondence to the court if she can't attend. Lack of legal representation isn't always accepted as a reason why she can't attend but she could try. If a call was made to the court they should be able to provide an email address so the request can be actioned quickly.
If the court doesn't agree then she could still attend and request an adjournment in person. If she has concerns about the children spending time with their father the court should be informed of these - she should ask for matters to be fully investigated.
You could also google to see if you can find a direct access barrister in your area who might be able to represent her on Monday.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you