How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Post the sale of my property 18 months ago, i received a cheque

This answer was rated:

post the sale of my property 18 months ago, i received a cheque for 14km in-which i've now been informed there's been an overpayment of 11k
how do i stand legally as the funds are spent as i wasn't aware of the error
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will hel you.
Do you accept there has been an overpayment please?
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please do not accept any further payments as this has been made in error
Ok. Do you accept a an overpayment was made in terms of this £11k?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm yet to ascertain a full response to my original question and am not happy to incur further charges on the same question, without a full explanation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do agree there was an overpayment, however I have only discovered same by reviewing the sale documentation
Yes indeed, but I need more information beforehand.
So you accept the overpayment exists but are you asking if you have to pay it back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I do accept receiving same in error, however since nearly 2yrs lapse would I have to repay
Sadly yes, they have 6 years to request an overpayment back. Therefore if you have been overpaid then whilst they can;t demand repayment in full straight way they can request repayment over a number of months etc.
But sadly you are liable if you accept the overpayment.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?