How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1469
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My partner attacked me and was arrested and charged with 1

This answer was rated:

my partner attacked me and was arrested and charged with 1 account of criminal damage 1 account of assault has was given a 2 year restraining order which he broke and has a 1 year suspenned conditional sentance he has instructed his solicittors to make me sell the house or he will take me to court the house is in joint names
Thank you for your question.
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I am a family Solicitor and can help.
If your house is in joint names and you are not married then it is likely that your ex has issued a Trust of Land Act Claim to seek to realise his share of the property.
I note that you have the benefit of a Restraining Order.
A Restraining Order can be used as Domestic Violence evidence to seek to obtain Legal Aid, to have a Solicitor help you. The Restraining Order needs to have been made in the last 2 years.
You need to take your Restraining Order to a Solicitor who specialises in Legal Aid so that they can assess your financial eligibility for Legal Aid. If you qualify they will be able to assist you with the Trust of Land Act Claim being made by your ex.
You will also be able to get assistance to seek a Non Molestation Order for when your Restraining Order expires - if he keeps harassing you.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. Please note that we receive no credit for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already put the house on the market will he be entitled to his half of the equity
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put the house on the market this week but feel he should not get half the equity after what he as done i thought I was going to die since the incident the fuel pipes on my car have gone and it nearly blew up
I am so sorry to hear how your ex has treated you.
The court when deciding whether to order a sale or declare a person's interest in a property the Court must take into account the following factors which are set out in Section 15 of the Act.
The intentions of the person or persons (if any) who created the Trust;
The purpose for which the property is subject to the Trust is held (ie, the current purpose rather than the original purpose);
The welfare of any minor who occupies or might reasonably be expected to occupy any land subject to the Trust as his home and;
The interests of any secured creditor of any beneficiary and the circumstances and wishes of any beneficiaries of full age and entitled to an interest in possession in the property subject to the Trust (or in case of dispute) of the majority (according to the veil of their combined interests).
I wish you all the best
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou you have been most helpful
You are very welcome - I wish you all the best of luck
Kind regards