How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I run a children's nursery and it will be closing down end

This answer was rated:

I run a children's nursery and it will be closing down end of August due to my retirement and I have an outstanding debt by a parent of fees - how is the best way of trying to get this debt paid - have spoken to parents and written to them as well but have had no response.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you willing to sue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I am but if it costs me more than the debt I will not be interested.

They only owe £600?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes to be exact £677 - Terms fees for two children

It is not that expensive to sue at the small claims court. That will probably cost around £50 to issue.
I would send them a letter before action first though setting out the sum that is owed and giving them 28 days to pay. Make clear that you will sue if they do not pay by this date.
If they do not then issue here
Letters before action sometimes work and sometimes do not but they protect you for costs and they are free to send.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not gone through this as normally a letter from me has the desired result - but yes can you send letter on my behalf - thanks - I will be at my daughters from pm today until Monday.

We cannot send it on your behalf under the rules of this site but I can put you in contact with people who can?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo I did send email yesterday but have heard nothing - I am now back from my daughters and would like to progress further with this matter - what is the next stage Sandy

Go on?
I am here.
Next stage of what?
What are you thinking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo - sorry last email you mentioned about putting me in touch with someone who would send out a solicitor's letter - I thought that is the next stage of this problem - Sandy

You can try here
Public access barristers can do this now and it is much cheaper than using a solicitor.