How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Booked a holiday cottage in UK from UK based owner. Cancelled

This answer was rated:

Booked a holiday cottage in UK from UK based owner. Cancelled within 7 days as bathroom arrangements aren't suitable for my registered disabled son in law. Owner being difficult over my deposit. What rights do I have please?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did the agreement say that the deposit was refundable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There were no terms and conditions for me to view....

Ok. Then I will outline the process for you to seek a refund:
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I do not have an address for her, can I email the above to her? As a point of law, is my deposit return contingent on her re-letting the property? My booking is for a year's hence and I cancelled within 7 days. Many thanks

Yes you can email it. The deposit is not conditional upon the re-letting. This is because unless there were terms to say otherwise you can take the deposit back.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes thank you very much Alex, kind regards Denise

Good luck Denise.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.