How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I missed a pre proof hearing due to a a very serious ill health.

This answer was rated:

I missed a pre proof hearing due to a a very serious ill health. I have just been discharged from the hospital and the sheriff, in my absence, continued the hearing one week from now for a peremptory diet hearing. My understanding is it is final and beyond challenge. How can I plead my case given my circumstance?
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and will assist you with this.
A peremptory diet is a diet assigned where a party fails to appear. It's purpose is to enable the party to appear and advise the court whether you are insisting on continuing with the litigation or not. So you have to appear at the peremptory diet and explain to the court why you didn't appear at the pre proof diet and ask the court to assign a new diet.
So the sheriff's decision isn't made in any particular context. The sheriff was simply following the court rules which apply where a party fails to appear.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does it mean I cannot add further value to the case such asking the court for specific orders and making productions on that day?
It would normally be a pre prof hearing that that would be dealt with. The sheriff may decide to hold a new pre proof hearing or if both parties are ready, he could do the pre proof hearing at the peremptory diet.
Most applications for orders have to be made and served by written motion on a G6 form so that the opponent has reasonable notice.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you