How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

We have had an incident in the workplace where one worker physically

This answer was rated:

We have had an incident in the workplace where one worker physically attacked another, the person who was attacked admitted that he did shout at the other party before being attacked after the attack the attacked person went to the hospital for an injury to his arm, although the whole thing is still under investigation do I as the manager still have to fill in an accident form and report to RIDDOR?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you made a report to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The attacker has been suspended and the injured party is on holiday
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.
The law requires employers to make a formal RIDDOR report to the Incident Contact Centre if any of their staff experience a physically violent incident which results in death, a specified injury or absence from work for seven days or more.
Specified injuries are:
• fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes
• amputations
• any injury likely to lead to permanent loss of sight or reduction in sight
• any crush injury to the head or torso causing damage to the brain or internal organs
• serious burns (including scalding) which:
• covers more than 10% of the body
• causes significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs
• any scalping requiring hospital treatment
• any loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
• any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space which leads to hypothermia or heat-induced illness; or requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
So consider if any of the above injuries have been incurred and if they have then a RIDDOR report should be submitted. If the injury does not fall within any of these, then you may just report it in an accident book or keep a record of it internally.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still no answer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also have had some connection issues, thank you for your reply, am I correct in thinking that keeping a record internally would keep us on the correct side of the law and what sort of record would that be?
Thank you. I am travelling this morning but I can concentrate on this properly later today if that is OK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Hello, you should indeed keep a record of the incident but that can be done in an accident book or some other written form, such as a report kept on file. There are no specific forms or format you must use as long as there is a summary of the incidents with details which you can refer to in the future if necessary. So it is just an internal record for your own records.
If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you