How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I helped a friend out few months back pounds they keep

This answer was rated:

I helped a friend out few months back for 500 pounds they keep saying they will pay me back but still nothing turns out im not the only one who theyve conned money out of just wondering how i can go about getting it back
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Do they have any money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes they have money

Ultimately, your only options are these.
The first is to write the money off as a bad debt. I imagine that is not attractive.
The second is to continue to debt collect as you have been which is clearly not working.
The third is to sue. Ultimately there is no other way of enforcing debts. It is probably a good idea to send them a letter before action first. It is ultimately only the cost of a stamp to do that. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Either way, it is cheap and it protects you from a costs application.
If that does fail then you can issue against them here
it will cost about £50 to issue and you can reclaim that from the other side if you win.
It is the type of sum they are likely to pay fairly swiftly to avoid a CCJ on their records so it is likely to be productive.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you