How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was sexually assaulted as a 9 year old child by the headmaster

This answer was rated:

I was sexually assaulted as a 9 year old child by the headmaster of the private school I attended in 1963. This person was brought to trial and sent to prison. I used to have a cutting from a newspaper. My parents never talked about it afterwards and I have suffered ever since and never been able to completely forget this. With all the cases of paedophilia coming to the fore in recent years, I wonder if their is any way after all these years, there would be any recompense.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How old are you now please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am now 61 years of age.

I do know the name of the person involved although he will now probably be deceased and also he name of the school.

Thanks. Its bad news I am afraid. You have 3 years from the date of knowledge to bring a claim. This is 3 years from when you are 18. As this means you are 40 years of time I am sorry to say no, so the only chance then would be through the Court when he was convicted.
If this was not done either sadly you are just out of time. I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How then would I find out where he was convicted and would any records have been kept for this period of time - would the police in the area it happened have any records?

There will be a memorandum of conviction at the Court it was. But sadly the Police would tell you what Court it was but you would not necessarily be entitled to the details of conviction.
I am sorry.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.