How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We had vehicular access to the front of our house via an "unadopted

This answer was rated:

We had vehicular access to the front of our house via an "unadopted road". A neighbour has gated off the road and padlocked the gate, and refuses to tell us the combination of his padlock. His plot definitely does not include the road. What can we do?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Thanks for requesting me but it is not really my area.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This does not make sense. The site said you needed 14 minutes. Then it said the question had been thrown open to all experts, and I would be told if they needed more time. Now it's been an hour and a quarter and the site says you need more information but your message does not say what " more information " you need. Please can you be more specific ?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How many years did you have access for please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We purchased in 2003 from a vendor who had access since 1994, anecdotal info from our longer standing neighbours is that no-one can remember the road ever being gated or obstructed before

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have not received an original answer
You need to write using a Solicitor and ask for access or say you will seek an injunction. If there has been 20 years access then there is a Prescriptive Right. This becomes absolute after 40 years.
If they continue to refuse access then you can issue an injunction to stop them blocking access. You would need to complete forms N1:
And N16a
The Court will list the matter and decide whether to make an order. If the Court and it is breached this could be contempt of Court which they could be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you