How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

After four hearings on the 23rd July 2015, being the date of

Customer Question

After four hearings on the 23rd July 2015, being the date of the final hearing at Cardiff Family Court my ex Wife convinced the District Judge I should have to pay maintenance for the on-going University Education costs of my Son aged 20.
I was divorced in 2006. I always paid the maintenance for my Son and Daughter (now 18 and working full time). Over the years my ex Wife has tarnished then against seeing me, even though I have always been kind to them.
I transferred to CMS in August 2014. CMS said maintenance was ended in January 2015 when my son was 20 and daughter working full time.
I initiated the Court process to seek confirmation on what CMS has said, being the maintenance was ended. I paid over £2,000 for initial solicitor representation having been told I would be fine, after the second hearing I could no longer afford the costs, so self represented.
I had been paying £100.00 per month spousal maintenance, I gave up all equity in ex matrimonial home - worth £260,000.
I have been made redundant after only one year in my current role.
After querying with Cardiff Family Court I was told form N161 this is an appeal form. I asked to appeal to the District Judge on the final hearing and was told I was not allowed to appeal, and have to pay £100.00 per month to my Ex Wife and £450.00 to my ex Wife for my Son aged over 20. £550.00 is a real kick, especially when I am not wealthy and have my Wife (I am remarried) and special needs step daughter aged 18 to support.
Could you please clarify how I inform Cardiff Family Court of my redundancy, so I can request a variation?
I am very concerned as I can't afford to pay £550.00 monthly from 01st September 2015.
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - you have been made redundant since the Order was made - and you had no knowledge that this could happen at the date of the hearing?