How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am currently seeking to improve my credit report / status

This answer was rated:

I am currently seeking to improve my credit report / status following discharge from bancruptcy which I am doing with the help of experian / credit expert.
My question relates to county court judgements. I have found that I have a county court judgement against me, that I was unaware of until gaining access to my credit report. I contacted the court seeking to have my credit file updated to show the debt as satisfied, in the same way as I have with entries by credit card companies. However on contacting the court they told me that this entry will remain until / unless the company mark it as satisfied themselves.
The judgement was issued in Jan 2011. I was subsequently made bankrupt by the same company in July 2011.
My question is there anything I can do to get the entry removed from my credit file / marked as satisfied as of date of bancrupty? Or does the debt have a special status as it is a court judgement? Can the company still pursue me for payment?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
I assume the debts were included in bankruptcy but never fully satisfied, ie paid in full?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's correct
Ok, if the CCJ was in January 2011 and you were bankrupt in July 2011 then sadly they are correct. This is because unless it was paid in full then technically it is not satisfied. That means it will show up on your credit report for 6 years from the date of CCJ so until January 2017.
If it was paid off because of the bankruptcy in full then it would be marked as satisfied. But because it was not paid off in full technically the information is correct - they never had full payment.
They can't chase you for the balance as it was written off in bankruptcy but in law it was never fully satisfied
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex
No not the answer I wanted however not all bad - I now know for sure that the debt is no longer recoverable (after soeaking to the court I was concerned that the claimant could still enforce recovery!). and the record will be removed in 2017 (the court informed me that it would never be removed unless satisfied). So not all bad.
Just to clarify the date the entry will be removed, as it dates from Jan 2011 does that mean it will be removed in Jan2017?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help
Ps having re read your answer I see you've already answered my date question.
Thanks again.
Excellent service.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.