How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71028
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I suppose this is a stupid question but I suppose I must try.A

Customer Question

I suppose this is a stupid question but I suppose I must try.A few days ago I cancelled my passport as I thought it had been stolen. It has since turned up so would it be possible to revert the descision?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
when you say cancelled, do you mean reported it stolen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
There isn’t anything you can do now about the fact that it has been reported stolen and therefore cancelled. They will not revive it.
However, you do need to tell them that you have found it. They won’t take any action against you for making the report as it was an honest mistake but if you don’t update them and they find out about it then they could.
I realise that is unlikely to happen but it does sometimes to some people and they do take passports and the security of our borders very seriously. I’m afraid there is a well known scam in this country where people sell their passport and then report it stolen to throw the scent of themselves and you don’t want them saying you have done that.
If you make an updating report now then that won’t happen.
On your primarily point though, they would almost certainly have cancelled the passport immediately upon receiving your report and will not be able to reverse that. They will just issue a new one.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?