How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10779
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Purchase of new build property (not ready yet.

This answer was rated:

Purchase of new build property (not ready for occupation yet. Who signs in England the exchange of contracts. An elderly friend has been told by their solicitor, deed done and exchange of contracts effected by the lawyer with no need for buyer to sign.


Thanks for your enquiry.

It would be normal for the Buyer and Seller to sign the Contract themselves.

However, provided their Solicitor has their authority, the Solicitor is entitled to sign the Contract on behalf of their client. This would normally entail the Solicitor phoning the client and asking their authority for him to sign the Contract.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

However, please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you