How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I replaced a fence in the back garden between a house I own

This answer was rated:

I replaced a fence in the back garden between a house I own and rent out and my neighbours. Initially the neighbour told my tenants he was happy with the job. However last Friday he smashed up part of the fence and uprooted one of the concrete posts in a drunken rage. The tenants have informed the police and sent me a crime number. How can I get my neighbour to pay for the damage he has caused?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Will the tenants give evidence against him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure they would, plus another neighbour witnessed the incident.
How much will it cost to put right roughly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just send him one letter setting out that you are of the view that he caused the damage and is therefore liable for the cost of repair. Make clear that if he does not pay within 14 days of the date of the letter you will sue him at the small claims court and seek costs and interest.
He may agree. He may not.
If you get no response then issue against him here
It will cost about £35 which you can claim back from him.
It is very unlikely that he will contest this. I cannot imagine what his defence will be.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for this. it was pretty much what I was going to do. Would the police press any charges for criminal damage?
Yes, they may.
It is criminal damage.
Whether they will or not depends really. I cannot see a justification for not doing so but I'm afraid that proper crime is playing second fiddle at the moment to what we euphemistically call 'domestic abuse' which the rest of us would call a row.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you