How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Almost a year ago, I paid the garage up front newer car

This answer was rated:

Almost a year ago, I paid the garage up front for a newer car as it was being serviced at the time. Part of the total cost included a Car Service Plan for the next two years plus an Autoglym (a protective coating inside and outside of the car.) A few days later when I collected the newer car I asked to cancel these extra services and their costs were subsequently put back into my bank account. However, only now has it dawned on me that I was not reimbursed for the VAT on them.
Please can you tell me whether the garage should have done?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Yes if you had a refund then the VAT element should also have been credited back also. However you do have 6years to bring a claim in the County Court if this is not done.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.