How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71035
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My married son has had a fling with a lawyer, when they first

Customer Question

My married son has had a fling with a lawyer, when they first met he wore a wedding ring the next couple of times he didn't. Now she's threatening to sue my son for fraud for lying, can she do this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No, she can't as she well knows.
You can't sue for fraud anyway. It is a crime not a civil wrong.
Anyway, this isn't fraud. I don't really quite understand why she thinks she has a complaint. He did wear a wedding ring and then he didn't. I suppose she is trying to argue that he lied about his status although a more perceptive person might have noticed the wedding ring at the outset.
Unless she is going to lie through her teeth there is no action she can take.
Threaten to report her to the SRA for making these threats although do not do it. Make allegations says as much about the accuser as it does about the accused and I know that she would do it to him but he is the better person.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son has opened up to me and admitted he did lie to this lawyer about his relationship status, so why is she saying she's going to sue my son for lying if she cant, are you saying she doesn't have a leg to stand on. so what can she sue for if she persists and keeps threatening my son.

Many thanks


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, he may have done and that isn't very chivalrious but it does not give rise to a claim in law.
If she keeps contacting him report her to the police for harassment although obviously only if he is not contacting her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help, this is a big weight off my sons shoulders.



Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
All the best.
Please remember to leave feedback for my answer.