How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I had accident 3 years ago and the car was written off and

Customer Question

i had accident 3 years ago and the car was written off and a settlement was agreed i heard nothing else until a few months ago i now keep getting parking tickets also non payment of road tax congestion charges i got in touch with the dvla they told me the vehicle was still in my name advised me to get in touch with the insurance company who made the settlement who i had sent all the documents to this i did on the 29/07/15 ive heard nothing from the dvla not sure what to do next
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Here, what has happened is that your written off car has been sold again within the car trade to some panel beater or garage owner who has then sold it on to someone else after repairing it in some fashion. So there is now some new owner driving around in your former car, who has not transferred the registration of your old vehicle into their own name. So this is why you still keep getting parking tickets. It is a form of fraud keeping the car in your name, as it avoids any personal conviction for such things as parking tickets. I would advise you to personally transfer the registration of the vehicle to the insurance company. Get a change of ownership form and transfer the ownership to the insurance company. Attend at their offices and get a signature authorising this change in ownership. Once the ownership is in the name of the insurance company, they will quickly do something about it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks will follow your advice

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Please RATE the Answer as otherwise your Expert does not get paid from the monies you have paid the website.