How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

HelloI have just recently moved from a shared rental

This answer was rated:

Hello I have just recently moved from a shared rental property living with a former friend and my brother. Upon leaving we were asked by the estate agents to provide all 3 bank accounts to have the house deposit returned. However without my knowledge or permission of me or my brother my former housemate asked for all the money to be returned to his account which has been the case. As such he claims the bills are owed to him yet without giving any proof he has kept the vast majority of the deposit money, only returning £150 from a total of £978 which should have been divided equally between the 3 of us. Where do my and my brother stand in this situation and can we take action against our former housemate and/ or the estate agent for failing to give usome our money back within the 10 working days stipulated in the contract upon leaving the property. Thank you Edward ****

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did you all pay the deposit together please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have paid the deposit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I miss read it. The deposit money was transferred into my bank account prior to paying it to the estate agentservices from all 3 parties but the option to pay it separately was given.

I dont think the agent is liable as they were acting on instructions.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.