How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have been living at my brothers flat years and I would

Customer Question

I have been living at my brothers flat for 10 years and I would like to be added to the tenancy, which is owned by the housing association. I contribute to the bill payments.
What rights do I have and can I be added to the tenancy as well?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
You have no right to be added to the tenancy unless there is some specific right to do so included in your brother's tenancy agreement. This would be unlikely. Your legal status is a guest (if you pay no rent to him) of your brother, or a lodger/poss sub tenant of your brother if you do.
If your brother is agreeable to you becoming a joint tenant with him then you could jointly seek to persuade the Association to allow you to become a joint tenant but they would not have to.