How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a summons -payment of council tax, I am in court

Customer Question

I have a summons for non-payment of council tax, I am in court today.
I have paid all my council tax when it was due and so I have no case to answer really. I have to take a day of work and will lose my days wages, will the council have to pay this to me, can I claim expenses in court?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No, I am sorry, you cannot claim consequential losses.
You will be able to claim travelling costs if the case is decided in your favour but not lost earnings. You can claim that at the county court but not at the Magistrates I'm afraid.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile