How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50199
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I contracted blood poisoning from a tyre case wire at work

This answer was rated:

i contracted blood poisoning from a tyre case wire at work spent 10 days in hospital had three opperations on my hand and have spent a month unable to do any work with said hand and have just learnt that they are only going to pay ssp can i sue said firm for my wages

Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was the employer at fault for this injury, did they fail to follow procedures or breached health and safety regulations?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

employer did not have barrier cream on premises or gloves to protect hands and incedent was not recorded in accident book

To be able to claim from the employer you must be able to show that they had breached their duty of care towards you, that you suffered an injury as a result of this and that the injury you suffered was reasonably foreseeable. If you knowingly exposed yourself to risk then you could be guilty of contributory negligence and any compensation you may be entitled to could be reduced accordingly. For example if you knew that working without the protective equipment exposed you at risk but you knowingly continued to do so, then that could be contributory negligence on your part. The employer could argue that if you knew you were exposing yourself to risk, then you should not have continued with the work until the required protective equipment was available for you to use.
So subject to being able to show negligence on the employer’s part and defending any claim that you had contributed to the negligence then you could consider taking the employer to court for personal injury compensation. As this can be a complex area of law you are best advised to approach a personal injury lawyer first – they could give you an initial free consultation and then work with you on a no win no fee basis. For example you can contact this firm:
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you