How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Yes, I have a house which in 1984 had planning permission for

This answer was rated:

yes, I have a house which in 1984 had planning permission for a home for the elderly. in 993 the council tax was for residential dwelling. I bought in 1999 since then it has been in use as a single dwelling does it pass the 4 and 10 year rule

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry

I am pleased to say that you do indeed pass the "4 year rule".

You should therefore make an application for a Lawful Development Certificate.

Under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990: Section 191 as amended by section 10 of the Planning and Compensation Act 1991.

Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995 the following applies in your situation-

A Certificate can be obtained where over four years ago, there was a change of use of a building, or part of a building, to use as a single dwelling house. Enforcement action can no longer be taken once the unauthorised use has continued for four years without any enforcement action being taken.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you