How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Father is suffering from vascular dementia. He

Customer Question

My Father is suffering from vascular dementia.
He lives with his long term partner. Without my concentrate she has power of attorney & has told me she has been made next of kin? I am his second daughter out of two, as my sister is in Australia and does not have any contact.
My Fathers partner will not give me any information regarding the name of his Day Care centre, Doctors name , she answers my texts on Fridays & then turns her phone off until the following Friday .
They have a history of abuse in their relationship...he is ex navy & I may be able to get him transferred from living in her care to a Specialist care home close to me...I live in Surrey he is currently in Oswestry, Shropshire.
I feel very frustrated and my hands are tied,
Please can you advise me of my rights & if I can get him moved to a home close to myself?
Many Thanks
Naomi Turton
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you actually seen a Lasting Power of Attorney?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Claire,
I have requested that information but have been told it is not my business
To see it .....
I have asked for my Dads partners email address etc but with no joy unfortunately. I do not know his Day centre address or name / number , Doctors name .... This is all being witheld from me
Many Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
When does she say it was made - within the last five years?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I believe so , my Father went into a home about two years ago & she said that she has power of attorney since then.
She text me on Friday (29th Aug 15) saying she is next of kin ....
My Father went back to be cared for by her around three months ago
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
If there is a Power Of attorney in place it has to be Registered - you can check here
If one has not been made then this woman has no legal right to deal with your father's matters and you can apply to be appointed as his Deputy.
next of Kin has no legal meaning as such - it denotes either the nearest blood relative - or the person your father has chosen to nominate as the person closest to him when he was mentally capable. It brings no legal rights with it
Please ask if you need further details