How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I loaned some property to a women. She started drinking heavy

Customer Question

I loaned some property to a women. I asked for my property back& told her I did not wish to remain friends which she didn't like. I went to collect it in a box. On arrival home 2 items were missing. I asked and asked by text and no reply and she would not pick up my calls. I phone the police to check how to avoid harassment. They say its theft do you want us to investigate. I said no. Give her time. I am a nurse. Public purse is low. No need police unless I have to. What's the alternative? I was told to log every time I contact her & no response which I did & then either police or solicitors letter. Eventually she picks up my call. Tells me she can only return one item because the other she left in Poland with her father on recent trip. She posts my item back. The day I receive it I text to thank her & say I will not be in contact now until Winter to give her time to collect my other item. The same day she contacts the police and has them contact me for harassment because she knew (I assume) that she now cannot be done for theft. Item in Poland is inexpensive & I am not concerned now about it. My concern is she has wasted police time & I want to know if I can get her done for that. I have a complaint in to the police at the moment for wrong advice. I also have a text from her saying do not underestimate my intelligence & another stating if someone bothers her she gets them back 100 times over. I found it very upsetting to have to keep asking for my property & had a few sleepless nights yet I have to sign a paper for harassment. If she had given my property back I would not have needed to contact her at all. I believe she has done this on purpose to send the police to my place of work as a nurse. She lied and told them I had gifted it. Is there anything I can do re the trauma of this also.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is the value of the missing items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not bothered about the last remaining item that she has not returned because its only £25.

She returned my £150 steamer and my knee support.

I want to know if I can have her done for wasting police time and more importantly to me the trauma of purposely withholding the final item. Its not an item I can put value on. She borrowed it for her health issue but knew I needed it back to use for my health issue to stop me having time off work. I have been ill with gynae, colorectal and knee problems so cannot have time off work again unless I will get a warning and she knows this. The item she withheld until the day she called the police was custom fitted at the hospital for me. Its not the value I am bothered about. Its the fact that if anything happen I would have had to go off sick to be admitted to get another one and therefore on a warning at work. This means she has tried twice to affect my job. One by the police and one by withholding my NHS item knowing I would have to go off sick.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
I see. It's not up to you, that is down to the police for wasting police time. The chances are they won't do anything, it's only if there is something serious like rape and it was untrue would the police do anything.
Sadly it's a matter only for the police whether they pursue and not you.
Unless you went to your GP with depression and it was solely attributed to that could you claim.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand your answer re the police.

I wanted to know if I could claim from her the trauma of having an orthopaedic health item withheld from me for weeks on end when I have health issues ongoing with gynae and colorectal & don't need another issue to cause problems at work and put me on a warning. She knows I have been very worried about that.

She knows I asked for it back over 2 month ago to do my garden which is like a jungle because I have been too ill to do it until now. She knows if my knee went while gardening I would have to go hospital and get another one and have time off instead of supporting it at the time. She kept it because she still has a bad knee and also just to be horrid. Being unable to garden now for 2 months because of her I am going to have to pay for an expensive gardener to clear the large garden I have before winter because it too overgrown which it wouldn't have been had she not withheld it.

This has caused me lack of sleep and worry and the cost of a gardener and the stress of the police on top. Why should she be able to get away with this?

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If you can show direct physical or mental loss then yes.
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.