How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1386
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

If a court case is lost by someone unemployed, claiming benefits.

This answer was rated:

if a court case is lost by someone unemployed, claiming benefits. How are the court costs and legal fees of the winning party retrieved?
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a solicitor and will assist you.
If you get Judgment and they don't pay within 14 days then you need to look at enforcement.
If the Defendant is on benefits then your best seeing if they have any assets to enforce against. Judgments for money, both those awarded in the County Court and the High Court, can be enforced by High Court Enforcement Officers. Court fee is £60 plus 8% of what they recover.
You can also ask for a Defendant to attend at Court for questioning - Court officer will ask them questions about their income, outgoings and assets. Court fee for this is £50.
Kind Regards
Please remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you