How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10743
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

We are landlords to a freehold property subject to a long lease.

This answer was rated:

We are landlords to a freehold property subject to a long lease. We merely render a ground rent charge on an annual basis, there is no other involvement. The solicitors, acting for the Lessee who wants to transfer the lease, have asked in the Landlord / management company questionnaire..."Upon whom should Notice of Transfer and or charge be served? This would be ourselves. Do we require a solicitor to accept the Notice of Transfer or can we merely acknowledge receipt of the Notice, satisfying ourselves that regarding the certified copy of the transfer and that an application will be made to register the transfer at HM Land Registry?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
The Notice of Transfer is merely a short note on A4 paper, prepared by the Buyers Solcitors, confirming that their client is the new Leaseholder, and that future ground rent demands should be addressed to him/her.
You certainly don't need a Solicitor to act for you in acknowledging receipt of the Transfer. Indeed, it would be normal for the Landlord himself to accept the Notice and just to return one copy to the new Leaseholder's Solicitor, duly signed- Landlords just write, in pen, on the Notice "received with thanks xx Landlord".
The Leaseholder's Solicitor will normally send you 2 copies of the Notice- one for you to sign and one to retain.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you