How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I want to put my babies dad name On my daughter's birth

Customer Question

Hi I want to put my babies dad name On my daughter's birth certificate so she doesn't have a black space becouse her dad is refusing
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does the father pay maintenance for the baby?
Do you understand that putting his name on the certificate gives him Parental Responsibility and you may have to consult him on decisions in the future?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he doesn't pay nothing .Yeah but i don't want her to have a blank space in birth certificate . I can apply to have all the parental rights.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Have you applied to the CMS for child maintenance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't want to fight with him over money just add he's name and that's it.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You can apply for a Declaration of Parentage which allows for the name to be added to the Certificate but which would not give him Parental Responsibility.
However if you do this then you may have to pay for the DNA test which will be ordered - unless of course he refuses to take one and the Order is made anyway.
However you face the risk that bringing the matter to court will encourage the father to apply for Parental Responsibility - which is likely to be granted - and which cannot be overridden by you
If you wish to continue then all the information you need is here
Please ask if you need further details