How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have seventy thousand pounds in all. I wish to gift my grand

This answer was rated:

I have seventy thousand pounds in all. I wish to gift my grand children fifty thousand pounds of this money and put the rest into an ISA.
Are these small amounts, fifty thousand divided between seven people, subject to any tax?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
There is no tax payable on the date of any proposed gfts to your grandchildren.
However, each gift will be a "potentially exempt transfer", meaning that provided you survive for 7 years from the date of the gift, none of the gifts (£50,000) will form part of your Estate for Inheritance tax purposes.
If you were to die within 7 years, then the gifts would become taxable, if your Estate was liable for Inheritance tax. There is a sliding scale of the amount taxable.
I have added the link to the HMRC website so you can see how this is worked out
If you were to survive for 7 years or your Estate is not large enough for Inheritance tax to become payable, then no tax is payable whatsoever!
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you