How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71039
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am an employer and I have a staff member which has accused

Customer Question

hi, I am an employer and I have a staff member which has accused another member of staff of a serious offence whilst in work time. Do I need to inform the Police of the nature of the offence?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi the situation is a staff member has accused another member of growing canabis whilst in work time. And both myself and the Assistant managing Director were unavailable for a week, This has all just come out recently and I am wondering were I stand with respects to the Law. Am I obliged to disclose this to the Police or can I just ask the offending member to leave and disregard what I was told?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
You are not under any obligation to make a report at all to the police in the UK. There is no offence in the UK of failing to help the police with their enquiries.
you are not actually under an obligation to dismiss the person either as certainly should ensure that your belief is a reasonable one and that there is a connection to their work.
Can I clarify anything for you?