How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have paid car insurance the last 3 months, although

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have paid for a car insurance the last 3 months, although the car was sold in start June. This might sound rather odd, as I am not sure I have cancelled the insurance. Now; the insurance company will not return the payment from the last 3 months as there is no proof of me cancelling. Although the trading papers of the vehicle state a date of start June. Can I chase up this, to claim a return of funds due to overpayment?
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you cancelled the insurance then you should be entitled to a refund for the period that you paid but had cancelled. The issue you have is proving the cancellation, without proof it may be difficult to claim a refund. I would suggest you do the following - write to them and say you are certain you cancelled the policy as you had no need for the policy as the car was sold. Say to them that you expect a refund forwith as you have paid for something you cancelled and did not need the benefit of. Say to them if they do not respond within 7 days you will seek to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman you cannot find evidence that you cancelled the insurance then a complaint to the FoS is your only option, it would be conceptually very difficult to sue them in Court if you do not have evidence of the cancellation. The FoS may be slow but they do have the power to award compensation. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you