How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I simply cannot at present afford to get divorced as I do not

This answer was rated:

I simply cannot at present afford to get divorced as I do not have funds available to pay legal costs. A court has ordered that a Forensic Accountant be appointed but I do not have the funds to pay for it. I have asked my solicitor to put the divorce on hold until such times the funds are available.
Can a court make me go into debt, if this continues it will bankrupt me.
Is this your application or your wife's ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My wife is the applicant and I am the respondent.

When is the next financial hearing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

7th December

Is that meant to be the Final Hearing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it's the FDR
Why is a Forensic accountant required?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because she doesn't believe what my accountants and I say and she obviously believes I have a pot of money hidden. Question still remains, can a court make me borrow money/go into debt in order to pay for forensic accountants and legal fees if I haven't got the funds?
I am afraid it is not possible for you to put the divorce on "hold"
Whether you participate or not the Financial application will go ahead - in your absence if need be.
If you do not instruct the Accountant then it is open to your ex to do so - and claim the costs back form you as part of the settlement.
If you truly cannot afford the accountant then I suggest that you make the offer to allow access to your accounts if your ex pays for the accountant.
I am sorry not to be able to give better news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you