How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Family Law - I am involved in a family law case. My sons ex

This answer was rated:

Family Law - I am involved in a family law case. My sons ex is stopping us seeing our Granddaughter, she is making claims that I and my husband have maltreated the child i.e. hurt her - which is totally untrue. My son is not capable of defending this case himself and the legal fees are crippling us. Can I represent him as a Mackensie Friend. Thank you
Thank you for your question.
I am a solicitor and will assist you.
It is often accepted that a family member or friend can assist at court as a McKenzie Friend for an unrepresented party.
You would be able to provide moral assistance and note taking but unfortunately you are not able to address the court on behalf of your son.
Please see the link below for practice guidance as to the Role of a McKenzie Friend:
Please do however consider that it is sometimes better not to choose a McKenzie Friend who too close or is in some way connected to the outcome. Whilst the argument that your son should have support is a strong argument - I would also be concerned that since allegations have been made against you - which you deny - that you may have to at some stage give evidence in the case. The mother may object and the Judge would have to decide. I wonder whether there is a 'less connected' friend or family member who might be willing to help.
Kind Regards
Please remember to rate positively - thank you
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Please remember to rate positively - kind regards