How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10956
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am planning to acquire a 46ft Ocean Motor cruiser. However

Customer Question

I am planning to acquire a 46ft Ocean Motor cruiser. However my brother in law (a solicitor and judge is going to buy it for me and he will own it for the first 6 months or so. and it will I suspect be registered in his name. Although it will be comprehensively insured from day one. In the event that it causes damage to a third party is tha captain on the day or the owner who is responsible for any liabilites incurred?
Also what contractswneed to be exchanged when purchasing?
many thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Any liabilities occurring in relation to the boat are the responsibility of the owner and not the captain on the day. So, although your boat will be insured, the person who will be sued a liability arises in the first six months will be your brother in law as he will be the owner. Not the person who is captain when any accident occurs. Secondly, the contract to be exchanged will be a usual contract for boat transfer which will transfer ownership to your brother in law. A similar contract will then transfer ownership to you. I would advise you to get a marine lawyer to handle the exchange. It is very straightforward.