How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Re Fencing issueI have carried out a survey to determine

This answer was rated:

Re Fencing and boundary dispute issue I have carried out a survey to determine my boundary. My Gardens back onto fields. The farmer has raised a boundary dispute in November 2014 and repeatedly come and threatened us at that time. Following police complaints his visits have stopped though he still drives at my boundary in a vehicle shooting rabbits at night. . I would like to fence my boundary with the field with a post and mesh fence immediately to stop trespassing at night over an area of approx 150metres long.The farmer doesn't want a fence and is not interested in carrying out his own survey as this would cost him money. Can I ask a solicitor to send him a letter giving him 2 weeks to carry out his own survey failing which I will put up a fence at my boundary. If he raises a dispute I wish to make an application to the court to determine our boundary(which I am confident will be where Promap,my  survey and title deeds show it to be). Are you able to suggest an online solicitor who can draft this letter for me. I can forward a pro map copy and land registry record to them along with a drafted letter. This will ensure that the ball is in their court and they can't prolong unresolved boundary dispute for ever.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
There is no reason why you can't do this. I would not erect the fence though until the issue has been adjudicated on/agreed.
I don't think that we are allowed to recommend specific solicitors on this site.
Perhaps your surveyor could recommend someone, or do the letter himself on his letterhead.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply

Is there any reason why I should not erect a fence at my boundary as determined by me survey.

The farmer has done nothing in the past year to resolve this, except raise a dispute verbally and am worried he might do nothing . (I need the fence keep my small children safe and would like to have a family dog and keep it within our grounds ).

Can I send the letter myself through special delivery, without being accused of anything .

You can put the fence up, there is no law against it, but there would be a risk that if it is on disputed land that the farmer might take unilateral action and you would have wasted money putting it up.
Yes, you can send a letter yourself.
LondonlawyerJ and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent thank you
No worries. I would be grateful if you would please rate me.