How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I talked with a farmer and he said you can have that for £150

This answer was rated:

I talked with a farmer and he said you can have that for £150 . That being a caravan on a small patch of land. He said the caravan is no good but you can do what you want. My wife and I both took this to mean the derelict caravan and the land.
For 30 years now I have paid annual rent to the farmer for services such as grass cutting on this small caravan/hobby site. In the whole of that time the farmer has had no access to this land and I have had sole possession and control to do as I wish on it . Some people have had sheds and others use the area or caravan for storage or hobbies or short holidays. One person even had a model train set within a caravan and visited throughout the year.
There has never been any paperwork other than an annual demand for rent.
The owner is now trying to evict us in October as they have planning permission for 500 houses on adjoining land and potential buyers are put off by the site of caravans . What if any are our rights. There are twenty caravans and sheds on the land and these will all have to be scrapped. We have been told nothing as now the land is owned by an investment company in Jersey Channel Islands.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you want to achieve, to stay on the land?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I am sending this again as I suspect my reply has been lost.

In order , yes we would prefer to stay under the same arrangements as before.

If this is not possible we would like to receive adequate compensation and adequate notice to quit.

Lastly if above solutions are not possible we would like to be told officially by the owner that we are to be evicted and given one year to leave. This would seem fair as we pay rent annually.

I find it amazing that no letter has been sent or notice in hand given to caravan owners. There is a notice which one or two caravan owners had stuck to their caravan doors dated 28th Feb and requiring everyone to vacate. The site is totally abandoned and all ex employees have been evicted from the site. We all now suspect that the caravans will just be removed by the land owner in October and the land access sealed off.

Many thanks.

Do you live 'full time' on the site?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Only one person lives in a caravan on the site and the now remaining 20 caravans are used for short breaks at the coast or hobbies.

Out of an original 40 caravans 20 have now been removed by owners quite sure that the site is closing next month.

regards .

You need to write and terminate the agreement saying when it will end and that occupation is not permitted beyond this. If they refuse then you can issue proceedings for possession. You would have to complete form N5:
The court would list the matter for hearing and decide whether to give possession. If the court does you can change the locks/remove the caravan.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry but don't see how this will stop me being evicted next month. Could you clarify.

Has he got a Court order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I have received no communication from the owner of the site or from anyone else.


Ok. In that case you need to apply for an injunction to stop you being removed. You would need to complete forms N1:
And N16a
You are asking the Court for an Order to stop you being evicted. The Court will set the matter down for a hearing and decide whether to make an order. If the Court does and they disobey it, then they would be in contempt of Court and could be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information and form templates. This would seem to be the course of action to take. One last question. Do I need a solicitor to complete the forms or could I do this on my own?
Kind regards ***** *****
Yes you complete the forms. You don't need a solicitor you can do it yourself Charles.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


It certainly does. I will scrutinise these forms and consider doing it myself. Thanks for your help.

Happy to help.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.