How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JG_Legal Your Own Question
JG_Legal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 47
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JG_Legal is online now

My ex boyfriend has my belongings in his house and I want them

This answer was rated:

My ex boyfriend has my belongings in his house and I want them back. He's cut off all contact with me and changed his phone number so I don't know who to contact to ask for them. They are expensive and sentimental items and I really want them returned. What can I do?
Can you prove the items belong to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the receipts for my TV and my bike. But other items are childhood toys and clothes. How do I prove those are mine?
I notice you have given me a negative feedback rating before I've answered your question. Do you still want me to assist?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The starting point is to write a formal letter requesting proposals for the return of your belongings within 14 days and confirming that in the absence of their return you will make an applictaion to the court.
At the end of that time you can sue your ex for the value of the items - requesting either their return or payment.
I appreciate that there is no intrinsic value to the sentimental items but sadly your only option is to place a value on them and then use the small claims procedure to try and recover it
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm so sorry - I thought you first response was my answer and I'd just paid £47 for it! Yes, I would love you to assist and happy to take back the feedback. Apologies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Clare. What is the likelihood of me actually being able to recover my things if this were to go to small claims court? Also would that not be really expensive?
Such claims are in fact not expensive - less than £200 in most cases - and as to how effective it will be it depends on how defensive he is of his credit rating- but sadly there are no other options
Did you leave the items in his house or did he take them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think £200 is expensive. The items were left in his house and then he broke up with me
What steps have you taken to recover the items? For example, have you been to the house?
Unfortunately this is the only option that is available to you in terms of the law.You have no right to enter his property to recover the items - and the Police will not be interested as no criminal offence has occurredThe Scale of charges is set out here you wish to use the law to recover the items then this is the only way forward
My opinion is that such a scenario can amount to theft under the Theft Act 1968 (the Act).Theft is when someone dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of the property.Under Section 3(1) of the Act, even if someone comes into possession of property innocently, "any later assumption of a right to it by keeping or dealing with it as owner" amounts to appropriation.If you have put him on notice that he still has possession of your possessions and he refuses to let you collect them it is certainly arguable that his continued possession amounts to theft.I suggest you write to him outlining the above and say you will report him to the police if he does not let you collect your possessions.If I have answered your question please accept my answer. If not, please feel free to ask for further clarification.
JG_Legal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 47
Experience: Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
JG_Legal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much. That is a brilliant answer. Very much appreciated. Thanks so much.
Thank you.