How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a resident parking permit in place, in London Walthamstow,

This answer was rated:

I have a resident parking permit in place, in London Walthamstow, I changed my car on the 25th January 2015, and on the same day I logged to Walthamforest website and was prompted to fill an online form for change of vehicule and uploaded the necessary documents.
it said on the website that I should expect a phone call the next day to take a £5.00 payment. as far as I can remember I did not receive a call, I tried to call them the next day but I could not get through, I had to leave a message for a call back, but no call back, tried again next day but could not get through, so I gave up thinking that it should be OK, after all I have a permit in place.
first PCN was issued on the 14th February, followed by 4 others, 5 in total for the same alleged offence.
instead of calling I decided to send an email, to which I had a response, by telling me that they have never received my completed form, (but later admitted that they did receive it) and was told to email all the information and necessary documents, which I did, but again I have not received a phone call, I called again and was successful after several attempts to speak to a real person who took the £5.00 payment, and the issue was finally resolved.
I appealed the whole 5 pcn's, 2 were cancelled but not the remaining 3.
I had to go all the way to the adjudicator, who first told me that it was entirely my fault for not making sure that I had a permit in place before parking my car, suggesting that I should have made the application one week before, but I did not have that car one week before, I bought the car on the same day I made the application, he then suggested that I should buy a pay and display until the permit is issued.
to me he did not sound like an impartial judge, and I continued to argue, he then left the room and asked me to wait, he returned with a clearly changed attitude by agreeing with me, I believe he consulted somebody on the matter, and began to tell me that the council procedure is not right and that I should not be made to expect a phone call, or to call them back, there many other ways of taking payments.
He said that he would write to them but can not force them to cancel the PCN, besides they can not issue more that one PCN for the same offence.
the council wrote back to me saying that they are willing to accept payment for one PCN only.
I do not want to pay them a single penny, I feel that they should pay me compensation for lost earnings due to the time spent pursuing the matter with a great deal of stress.
Hello my name is,alex and I will help you.
What is it you want to achieve? How much do you want to claim?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

firstly I do not want to pay the fine, lets see if that is possible

Ok so have you appealed that one too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I went through the appeal process for the 3 Pcn but was unsuccesfull

I went to the adjudicator for the 3 Pcn

council says they are willing to accept payment for one PCN

I can not appeal anymore

Ok. Sadly if you have appealed as far as you can then you can't appeal any more. I would suggest paying the one and then claiming a refund through the County Court. After payment you need to do the following:
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, I feel very strongly that I have done nothing wrong as explained above,

but do you believe that I can win my case at a county court?

Yes I think you have a chance.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the advice Alex

Kind regards

Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.