How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33537
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I am a local councillor and a member of the public claims I

This answer was rated:

I am a local councillor and a member of the public claims I have defamed him in an email. He has initiated action in the County Court (Liverpool Civil and Family Court) for a claim of £3,000 in damages plus £115 Court Fee.
I totally reject the claim but always thought such cases for defamation could only be dealt with in the High Court.
Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated
You are correct defamation cases should be dealt with in the High Court and are not matters to be dealt with seemingly in your case in the small claims court. I would set out your defence (to avoid summary judgment) but also mention in the defence that the claim has been incorrectly brought. Please remember to rate positively - thanks
ivorylounge and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you