How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good afternoon. I'm in the UK and this question is on behalf of my brother who is

Customer Question

Hi! Good afternoon. I'm in the UK and this question is on behalf of my brother who is in India. He is a victim of internet fraud involving a bank account holder in the UK (Barclays). Is there a way to retrieve the money he wire transferred to a Barclays account? He has lost 33,424.00 USD.
He was in the process of purchasing a grinding machine from a company in China. Most of his communication was over e-mails, and he was receiving invoices over e-mail. A fraudster sent him a fake invoice and provided the details of Barclays account in the UK. He transferred a sum of 33,424.00 USD by swift transfer. At that point of time, he had no reasons to suspect, as the email address appeared to be from the Chinese Company. It turns out that my reply was being sent to account, which we believe is the fraudster's email account.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you would like to know please? Does the money still exist in the Barclays UK Account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fraudster's account is with Barclays. Barclays hasn't revealed personal information of this account holder. Apparently, the money has been withdrawn and a very little amount is left by the time Barclays froze the account holders account.

I would like to know how to proceed with the Bank to enable us in retrieving the amount. My brother has informed the Bank within a few hours of this transaction. How can we proceed with Barclays so that they can help us retrieve the money? It will be helpful to know if they acted in time after our report. Also, we are unable to comprehend how such a huge amount could be withdrawn in a small period of time.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Can you sue the bank - no because it was not Barclays fault.
However what you can do is get it investigated. You can complain to the Financial Ombudsman who can look at this for you. They regulate the banks, are independent and can recommend compensation. They are found at:
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

Thank you for your answer. We are in touch with Financial Ombudsman, but it appears that they mainly deal with individuals or micro-businesses. Are there any similar regulators for small business with around 24 employees?


Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Sadly not no. You may need to issue Court proceedings.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: