How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a dispute with my old insurance company,

Customer Question

I have a dispute with my old insurance company, I held a motor trade policy and one driver that was named on my policy that had an accident and was arrested for drink driving. The accident was not the fault of my insured driver and I have statements to that effect, the police also dropped the drink drive charge, however my insurance company settled the claim in favour of the other party without waiting for the outcome of the police charge, in doing this I lost my no claims and also was unable to use my legal protection to pursue the other party, I have sent a summons to them for court but to be honest do not have a clue what I should do., this same insurance company did a similar thing to me just a year earlier, a pedestrian ran in front of my wife's car, fortunately it was a crawling speed, the pedestrian was moved from the scene and did not inform anyone, we however reported it as we were concerned and after investigation by the police, the police checked witnesses and came back to us saying it was not my drivers fault, but again my insurance paid out and I again lost more of my no claims .
Many thanks. *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sean my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you want to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had my no claims removed and could not afford the price they quoted I ended up relying on taxis and paying for cars to be dropped off at my garage, due to my loss of no claims I ended up having to go on a friends policy.
The stress this caused was un imaginable, the cost of paying people to help stay trading, also the loss of the company vehicle which had they have waited for the police to finish there investigation then my legal protection on my policy would of pursued the 3rd party for the loss of our vehicle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already paid the money to Notting court and summons them to court for around £1700 which is approximately it cost me to be without my own insurance
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Yes I understand, I assume you are suing the other driver for loss of no claims?
What is your question of me today about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to know if the insurance company should of waited for an outcome befor settling a claim and taking away my no claims bonus, they have sent me a letter apologising saying it is not the high standard that they normally give to there clients. It left me in a mess without my own policy, I had to go on someone else's policy which I could only do 3 months after my policy ran out, in that time I was relying on taxis and paying to have cars dropped at my old trade address, also the year I was on someone else's policy I didn't gain no claims bonus,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The price I paid befor the loss of no claims was £1100 and without the no claims the quotes were reaching over £6000
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
In the policy terms does it say they can settle the claim without permission?