How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had a change in circumstance being that I became self employed

This answer was rated:

I had a change in circumstance being that I became self employed 16hrs a week and have 2 children under 5yrs also a single mum, I filled out forms and sent what they asked for in but they kept suspending my housing now for 3 rd time, I'm currently 2 months behind with rent and have been handed a sec 21 b. I am private rented.
I explained each time it's a new business just started and my income is 0 but here I am now being made homeless. Had I known they were going to end up putting me in this situation with 2 young children of 17months and 3.5 years I don't think I would of bothered!
I suppose my question is are the council now obligated to house me and my children as we don't deserve to end up in temporary accommodation on a waiting list when none of this was my fault!?
Kind regards
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know whether you have appealed any adverse decision?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
basically when I moved in here I wasn't on housing benefits but my circumstances changed through domestic violence and my landlord was sympathetic and said I could still rent even if I ended up on housing.
But then the flat the land is on is not owned by my landlord but someone else and because it has been brought to there attention I haven't been paying my rent they are asking my landlord to give me notice or there freeze there contract between them as in there contract my landlord is only allowed to rent to professionals.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry no I havnt appealed!
Its bad news I am afraid, as you know if you are late with rent then the Landlord can serve notice, which they have done. Sadly even when you catch up its only down to the Landlord whether he/she wants to keep you. They may or may not.
If the Landlord wants to end your tenancy then the Council wont do anything UNTIL there is a possession order, so sadly you have to stay there until the Court grants an order. Then and only then does any obligation fall on the Local Authority to consider re-housing you.
So yes, this is down to the Local Authority but sadly you cant make the Landlord change their mind. You can ask but they may say yes or no and if the answer is no, you need a possession order to get rehoused.
I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.