How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My mother passed away recently and left a house to me and my

This answer was rated:

My mother passed away recently and left a house to me and my brother.
It is worth $ 750,000. Supposing I were to buy my brother out, would I be liable for stamp duty and if so how much please? Are there any other charges I should be aware of?
I live in the US incidentally.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you clarify if the property is in the UK?



Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it is


Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay.

Well, I am afraid there will be Stamp Duty payable by you on your brother's half share.

There will be no Stamp Duty payable on the half share you inherited.

Stamp Duty is payable at a rate of 2% for any consideration paid over £125,000.

Therefore Stamp Duty will be £5,000 (£375,000 less £125,000 equals £250,000x 2%= £5,000).

The only way around this would be if your brother were prepared to give us his inheritance of the half share of the property. If so, a formal Deed of Variation can be prepared by a Solicitor which varies the terms of the Will post death, to in effect show that you are entitled to inherit the whole of the property.

There will also be Solicitors fees to pay (not a vast lot- probably £300 plus VAT to do the paperwork and a Land Registry fee of £90).

You may also have to pay Capital Gains tax as and when the property is sold.

Here is a link, explaining more-

There are no other issues you need to be made aware of from a legal point of view.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you


Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Further question please.

If I sell this house in the UK sometime in the future will I be liable to UK capital gains tax as a US resident/US tax payer? If so at what percentage? Similarly will I be liable to US Capital gains tax when I eventually sell and if so at what percentage?


I set out the link concerning UK CGT in my previous answer, if you would like to click on that.

I am afraid I do not know the US tax laws, so you ar ebest to speak to a qualified person concerning any liability.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please look up the US situation for me and provide an answer?