How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

My partner has talked me to gift her son a car and i have said

This answer was rated:

My partner has talked me to gift her son a car and i have said that i ma selling it to him at the heavily discounted and this is my gift to him but he needs to pay me £2000 over the period of 16 months . I has happened in May 2014. He has got a car but I have got nothing so far from him. In addition I have separated from my partner recently. Now all of them saying the car was a gift all together. I have obviously signed the change of ownership of the car which I was driving for 8 years. Any chance to recover money : or car ?
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
The option you have available to you is county court action. You can start a money claim on line here -
Taking this action is likely to sour your relationship further and it is worth considering that if genuinely does not have the money to pay you all you would be left with is a Judgment that you have 6 years to enforce. You could also enforce the Judgment against the car once you have obtained it.
What is the car worth?
Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

II is Mercedes 220cd reg GU53OCK car worth at the transfer time in May 2014 about 2700 and I have agreed for him to pay me £2000. later on in August I have purchased new tyres for this car as it was given to my son in law to use it for a week.

Hi, Thank you. Write to him and demand full payment within 7days and say if he does not pay up you reserve the right to commence court proceedings. Suing him will have to be the next step especially if you want to try and claim the car back as payment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done so but he did not answered my letter. I have given him an option to return my car or pay £2000 . No response so far.

Hi, Thank you. If he does not respond in 7 days, I am afraid suing him is the only other option available to you. Once he receives a court claim, he will have to respond to it or at the very least get in contact with you to settle the matter. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer and I will get Small Claim Court action moving soon

No problem. I wish you the best of luck.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.
Kind regards