How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have separated from my husband and i got a council house.

This answer was rated:

Hi, i have separated from my husband and i got a council house. things are getting better and i want to know if he can move with me in my council house. am i going to be in trouble if i don`t let them know?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.On what basis were you allocated the accommodation?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a court order from my landlord because i could not pay the rent. My husband i and separated...

Do you mean you were evicted and you (and children?) were rehoused - is that correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, i have 3 children. We got a council house. Now i am trying to make it my my husband. I am British , pakistani. He want to live with us, but i don't know how the system work. is he allowed?

There is n o reason why your husband should not move in - unless there was Domestic Violence in which case Social Services may intervenePlease ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Basically i got the house because of separation, and i want to know if he can move in with me in the council house legal.

There is no reason why your husband cannot move in unless there was Domestic Violence in which case you could have problems with Social ServicePlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My daughter is 8, so she has no partner. We have no money at all. I am getting all the benefit. When me and my husband separated, he left me without nothing. Me and him were married in pakistan, not here. So i don`t have a registered marriage in here. He left me , so now he want us back. The council helps me with eveything. I want to know if is okay for him to come and live with us in the same house which one i got from the council. please answer for me to understand.

He can move in if you wish - but it will have an effect on your benefits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What kind of effects? I might have to move out?

No but if you rely on benefits to pay your rent then you need to check thatyou will still be entitled to them if he moves in
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no damage. Am i going to lose my benefit if he is moving with us? Mean, i will loose my house?

You will not loose your house so long as you can pay the reny
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you