How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33540
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

My partner and I have been together years. years

This answer was rated:

My partner and I have been together for 10 years.For 2 years we lived together in my home which I owned outright. My partner owned a flat and a bungalow in her name.2 years ago we decided to set up home in her bungalow.I sold my house and invested a large part of the proceeds of my sale in my partners home towards doing the place up and other improvements. I sold most of my furniture and she said she preferred hers and it fitted the house better.We are now in the process of splitting up and my partner is refusing to even consider splitting our assets or in any way returning to me any of the money that I agree I happily invested in what are her homes in her name in the belief that we were building a future life together. Is there any way I can recover the thousands of pounds i have invested
Were you actually married?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No just living together
Yes you clearly have an interest in his property. You have something called an equitable interest. You should see a lawyer who can write a formal letter to him. You are entitled to your money. Happy to discuss. Please rate positively - thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thomas thank you for that I am very relieved to hear it but a little confused. I did pay £85 about 12 months to a solicitor just out of frustration at getting nowhere and to see where I stood she told me I didn,t have a claim as both the properties were in her name and the fact we had lived together for over 2 years did not matter.That advice appears to have been in error can you expand a bit please on your answer so that when i go to see another lawyer I know what i am saying to them
Well that solicitor is wrong. I would suggest that you go to a new solicitor as you have something called a TOLATA claim. This is because you have invested in the property with your money towards improvements and the like. This gives you an interest.Please rate positively - thanks
ivorylounge and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you