Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law

How can I find out if I am included in my estranged, late mother's

How can I find out if I am included in my estranged, late mother's will?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Initially, a Will is a private document, but once Probate has been obtained by the Executor(s) named in the Will, it becomes a public document, and a copy can be obtained via the Leeds Probate Registry.

Probate is required where an Estate is valued over £5-£10,000.

Here is the link, explaining how to obtain a copy-

On a side point, the Executor is under a duty to notify all beneficiaries of their entitlement, so if you are included in the Will, you should be notified by the Executor.

I hope this helps you and answers your question.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Aston. How soon after the bereavement should the executor inform any beneficiaries of the will?

Hi Paul,

There is no strict rule as to when they should do this, but it would normally be within 2-3 months from when they start to administer the Estate.

Probate can take anything from 3-12 months to obtain, depending on how complicated the Estate is.

Hope this assists.

Kind Regards