How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33361
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

What does it mean if I'm a defendant in a building despite

This answer was rated:

What does it mean if I'm a defendant in a building despite and was court ordered to pay a certain amount. I've just been granted the right to appeal what does this mean in terms of a pending costs hearing? How can I delay the costs hearing? And what happens if I make an offer?
how much was the judgment for
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do we postpone the costs hearing? If we want to make an offer but would like the claimant to sign a lien release form to remove the lien on our credit and home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still here waiting for an answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's going on?
Yes. You need to make an application to stay as well as the application to appeal. This would allow the court to potentially pause the costs hearing. You would use a form N244.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We submitted the application to appeal and for a stay the right to appeal was granted but the right to stay was denied. We do not know how to to cease the cost hearing on September 30. And we would like to make an offer just a few thousand below the judgement.but we're not sure what the right to appeal means? In terms of costs??
You are entitled to make offers to settle cases and also costs - you would normally mark such offers with the words without prejudice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
During the initial case, the Judge looked at an offer made in December 2014 of 15k that included cost from a P36 perspective that we refused. However, there was another offer made right before the court case of 3k PLUS cost. We attempted to find out what were the estimated cost but their solicitor was unavailable/did not answer. Their total cost is well above 30k. Hence, since the Claimant's offer was above the judgement shouldn't the Cost Judge dismissed their cost award?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you answer please
Why weren't P36 offers looked at at the conclusion of the case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The judge used an offer made in dec 6 months earlier for an amount of 15k? He didn't use the very last offer of 3k plus cost. When we attempted to find out about the cost/offer and to negotiate; the claimants solicitor was unavailable until court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haven't seen your answer?
I am still confused as to why he was not presented with all of the part 36 offers - he should have considered them all - even to just provide a short judgment as to why he did not consider they applied
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which falls into where we are - cost hearing coming up. We are planning of having a stay on cost for the following reasons - refused mediation and last offer (3k plus cost) above award. Secondly, if not successful, we need to have more time before Sept 30th cost hearing because we just received the right to apply for an appeal and we would like to get the transcripts of the initial hearing before the Cost hearing. What strategy/tactic should we consider?